Forex news for Asia trading Tuesday 25 July 2017
- All the FOMC previews, in one place
- China reportedly boosts defense preparations along North Korean border
- China says it'll open its markets further to other BRICS
- Currency views - here are 7 FX views (in a tweet)
- NZ officials report on contagious disease found in 14 cows
- A couple of oil headlines (ICYMI) - Saudi & shale
- PBOC sets USD/CNY central rate at 6.7485 (vs. yesterday at 6.7410)
- More on crypto currencies - Bitcoin options contracts coming soon (September)
- USD/JPY edging to fresh high
- BOJ June meeting minutes out now (a bit dated given July meeting last week)
- BOJ meeting minutes due out at 2350GMT (in just a few minutes time)
- Australia - ANZ-Roy Morgan weekly consumer confidence: 115.1 (prior 112.5)
- Couple of China headlines this morning - exports forecast, liquidity easing
- How to buy Bitcoin and Ethereum as simply and securely as possible
- Barclays on 2 events to weaken AUD this week - "recommend being tactically short"
- Goldman Sachs says it is pulling back from ETF lead market making
- FOMC meeting this week, what to expect (more previews)
- Australian Q2 inflation data due this week - preview
- ICYMI: Forexlive Americas FX news wrap: Dollar is little changed as market await Fed decision
- Long AUD/USD is a "G10 Thematic Trade of the Week"
- Trade ideas thread - Tuesday 25 July 2017
- Japan press - Abe adviser urges reappointment of BOJ Governor Kuroda
- Join us for a grand tour through Asian economic data due today!
USD/JPY had an early move a few points higher in the Tokyo morning, testing to its US-time high around 111.30 but the move was not sustained. USD/JPY drifted back to under 111.10 amidst some USD weakness, albeit in only small ranges and not across the board.
EUR/USD moved up towards 1.1655 (from session lows early around 1.1630). Cable and USD/CHF are both little changed on the session, as is gold.
There was a flurry of activity in the NZD, lower on news hitting of a contagious cattle disease:
But it soon bounced back to be also little changed on the session.
AUD/USD had drifted lower to around 0.7910 and just under but it too bounced back, to above 0.7930 briefly.
There has been very little in the way of fresh news today. We got some Australian data (weekly consumer sentiment, higher on the week), BOJ June meeting minutes (the minutes are preempted by the 'Summary of Opinions' which come out much sooner after the meeting) and that NZ cattle news was about it.
Maybe it's a lame excuse, but the market seems to be waiting on the FOMC announcement on Wednesday, previews:
- Nikkei -0.13%
- Shanghai +0.18%
- HK +0.06%
- ASX +0.84%